Online Training Course
So, you’ve been asked to teach sex education. Okay, maybe you were told, not asked. Either way, you will be teaching a topic that you didn’t study in college…awkward! No worries! The Puberty Lady has your back. This online training course will help you feel more comfortable and confident about teaching sex education whether you’re a teacher, school nurse, or community educator.
The course will prepare you with the skills and information needed to teach puberty education, and it will provide an opportunity to share your experiences and questions with colleagues in course forums. While the course is designed to prepare educators for teaching Puberty: The Wonder Years in grades 4, 5, and/or 6, it is also useful for teaching any sex education lessons in those grades.
Why This Course Is Needed
- Many educators who are asked to teach sex education have not had college courses or professional development to prepare for this assignment. This course will increase comfort and confidence in teaching puberty education.
- Educators who work in smaller schools or organizations often have limited resources to access face-to-face professional development. This online course is cost effective.
- Many educators live in regions where professional development is not readily accessible, such as rural areas, large urban centers, or international locations. This course can be completed anywhere, anytime.
- Many schools and agencies are concerned about controversy related to sex education. This course will show how to build family engagement and support.
Why This Course Is Special
- This course focuses on the skills needed to teach sex education. Other online courses focus on specific topics, such as HIV prevention, pregnancy prevention, or special education.
- This course focuses on sex education for students in grades 4, 5, and 6. Most other professional development is focused on higher grade levels.
- This course allows the educator to select the specific grade level(s) that they will teach. If they change grades later, they can select an additional course module for their new grade level.
- This course provides a forum for educators to share ideas, questions, and experiences with other colleagues. This is especially supportive of teachers who are the only sex educator in their organization, those who prefer learning in a one-to-one setting, and those who can’t get release time to attend workshops.
- This course is designed to prepare educators for teaching Puberty: The Wonder Years in grades 4, 5, and/or 6. However, it is also useful for teaching any sex education lessons in those grades.
Details about the Online Training Course
The Online Training Course is available in smaller courses: The Grade 4 Master Course, Grade 5 Master Course, and Grade 6 Master Course. Educators who teach more than one grade level will also be able to select one or two shorter, add-on, grade-specific courses to complete.
By the end of the course, participants will:
- Summarize the content, strategies, and organization of Puberty: The Wonder Years for grades 4, 5, and/or 6.
- Practice the skills needed to teach sex education.
- Describe the laws and boundaries that impact teaching sex education.
- Create a plan to strengthen parent and family involvement.
Participants will be able to work at their own pace. The course is available 24/7 so participants may complete it in a day or stretch it out to fit their schedule. Upon completion, participants will receive a certificate of completion they can use to apply for CEUs.
The Puberty: The Wonder Years Online Teacher Training Course consists of shorter modules that vary in length from 10 to 60 minutes each. Read a list of the PWY Online Teacher Training Course Modules and estimated times for completion. Many thanks to our expert course developers and beta testers. Please read and share this Online Course brochure.
How to Buy Online Courses:
Purchase one Master Course per educator. If the educator will teach multiple grades, select the grade-specific add-on course(s) as needed. See the specifics below:
If you teach one grade level, click on the Master Course for your grade to get a complete course for your grade.
- Puberty: The Wonder Years Grade 4 Master Course $149
- Puberty: The Wonder Years Grade 5 Master Course $149
- Puberty: The Wonder Years Grade 6 Master Course $149
If you teach more than one grade level, select the extra, add-on grade(s) you need.
- Puberty: The Wonder Years Grade 4 Add-On $39
- Puberty: The Wonder Years Grade 5 Add-On $39
- Puberty: The Wonder Years Grade 6 Add-On $39
Upon completion of your order, you’ll get two emails: 1) a confirmation of your order, AND 2) a later email providing your username and password for the online course login.
To find your course(s), You may select the “My Courses” link from the top of this website page OR use the link in your email providing the online course login. You’ll need your course login email with your credentials to log into your courses.