Companion Materials Are Available
Optional Lessons for Grade 6
Want to extend the learning? These easy-to-use, optional lessons provide everything you need to teach, including scripted lesson plans with engaging student activities; full-color, animated PowerPoint slides; student worksheets; and answer keys. Read more about the Optional Lessons and how they enhance Puberty: The Wonder Years for grade 6.
- Optional Lesson 6-A: Building Blocks of Life: Students learn how each new individual begins with a single cell that is formed when the sperm and egg unite. They explore the differences and similarities between body cells and reproductive cells. The roles of chromosomes, DNA, and genes in determining inherited traits is described and the students identify their own inherited traits.
- Optional Lesson 6-B: Dominant or Recessive? Identical or Fraternal? Students learn how dominant and recessive genes interact and demonstrate their understanding by using Punnett Squares to predict the eye color of the offspring of four couples. They learn about twins. The students consider the role of heredity versus environment and lifestyle and recognize that they can impact their health by making healthy lifestyle choices.
- Optional Lesson 6-C: Skill Development: Identify Trouble and Refusal: Students learn the steps for identifying trouble, then practice them using a typical situation. Next, students learn five effective strategies to use when refusing pressure to engage in something that could lead to trouble. They practice refusing in a typical situation. This optional lesson can be implemented if students have not previously been taught the two skills applied in Grade 6, Lesson 7: identifying trouble and using refusal skills.
- Optional Lesson 6-D: Preventing Pregnancy and STIs: Following a brief review the definition of sexual intercourse and possible negative consequences of sex, students create equations to illustrate ways to reduce the possibility of pregnancy and sexually transmitted infections. Sources of information are identified and students are assigned homework to examine websites to see if they are accurate and trustworthy.
Student Assessment Surveys
Would you like to assess changes in student knowledge, attitude, and skills as a result of your Puberty: The Wonder Years instruction? Want to prove that you’re making a difference? Need evaluation results for your teacher evaluation? Then, these easy-to-use pre- and post-surveys are for you!
- Grade 4 Surveys: Includes a Pre-Survey (9 items), Post-Survey (10 items), and Answer Key
- Grade 5 Surveys: Includes a Pre-Survey (10 items), Post-Survey (11 items), and Answer Key
- Grade 6 Surveys: Includes a Pre-Survey (12 items), Post-Survey (13 items), and Answer Key
- Teacher Survey: Includes nine short questions to assess teacher reactions to teaching Puberty: The Wonder Years.
Save time and money by ordering Student Workbooks. Each workbook includes all the Student Worksheets, Family Partnership Flyers, and Family Activity Sheets needed for student use with Puberty: The Wonder Years. The Student Workbooks are bound to hold student work together. Homework activities are on perforated pages so students are able to remove them when it’s time to take them home. These workbooks are offered as a service; they are not required since these materials are included in the Online Teacher Resources that come with each purchase of the curriculum guide.
- Grade 4 Student Workbook Set: Come packaged in a set of 30. 16 pages, plus a full-color cover.
- Grade 5 Student Workbook Set: Come packaged in a set of 30; 16 pages, plus a full-color cover.
- Grade 6 Student Workbook Set: Come packaged in a set of 30; 12 pages, plus a full-color cover.
As a service to customers teaching Puberty: The Wonder Years, we offer some our favorite videos that are recommended for use with the lessons.
Grade 4 Videos:
- Just Around the Corner for Boys: This video is used in Grade 4, Lessons 4 & 5. A teen narrator tells what to expect in puberty. The approach is upbeat, but honest in reassuring about the normalcy of changes. The video is live action, except for cartoon drawings that illustrate the changes of puberty. It includes male information only. We’re Just Around the Corner is the version that includes information for male and female bodies. Cost: $90.00
- Just Around the Corner for Girls: This video is used in Grade 4, Lessons 4 & 5. A teen narrator tells what to expect in puberty using simple terms. The approach is upbeat, but honest in reassuring about the normalcy of changes. The video is live action, except for cartoon drawings that illustrate the changes of puberty. It includes female information only. We’re Just Around the Corner is the version that information for male and female bodies. Cost: $90.00
- We’re Just Around the Corner: This video is used in Grade 4, Lessons 4 & 5. A teen narrator tells what to expect in puberty using simple terms. The approach is upbeat, but honest in reassuring about the normalcy of changes. The video is live action, except for cartoon drawings that illustrate the changes of puberty. It includes information for male and female bodies. Cost: $90.00
Grade 5 Videos:
- You, Your Body, and Puberty: This video is used in Grade 5, Lessons 2 & 3. This video includes a version for young people with male bodies and female bodies in a single positive presentation. It also includes two additional versions: one that includes only information about males and one that includes only information about females. A group of four friends learn about the anatomy and physiology of the male and female reproductive systems, changes that occur during puberty, emotional and relationship changes, and some basic hygiene from dad, grandma, and teacher. Masturbation is not mentioned. It is available in English or Spanish. Cost: $139.00
Grade 6 Videos:
- Fetal Development: A Nine Month Journey: This video is used in Grade 6, Lesson 2. This video traces the development of a fetus from conception through birth using remarkable photography, drawings, and animation. Emphasis is placed on the importance of a positive lifestyle, including good nutrition and abstinence from drugs, for the mother. The live birth shown at the conclusion of the video is tastefully and gently depicted. It is available in English or Spanish. Cost: $110.00
- Puberty: The Great Adventure, 6th edition: This video is used in Grade 6, Lesson 3. This video uses an MTV style to keep students’ attention as they hear teen interviews about the changes in puberty from their perspective. The adult narrators are positive and appealing as they provide reliable information about the issues that concern adolescents and reassure students that they are normal. The DVD is includes three versions of the video: males and females together, females only, and males only. Each version addresses the changes and challenges of puberty using a positive tone and includes candid interviews with teens. Cost: $90.00
- Straight Talk About Sexual Choices and Consequences: This video is used in Grade 6, Lesson 4. Two young adult narrators discuss reproduction with a focus on responsibility and thinking ahead about personal limits. They act as hosts of an advice show and respond to questions about emotions and relationships. Advice is interspersed with scenarios illustrating the use of skills for managing sexual situations and abstaining from intercourse. Cost: $90.00
- The Puberty: The Wonder Years Trainer’s Toolkit is a comprehensive set of materials to support professional development facilitators in delivering a one-day training workshop for educators to equip them to effectively deliver the Puberty: The Wonder Years curriculum to their students.
The Trainer’s Toolkit contains all the materials training facilitators need to conduct the one-day professional development workshop for educators, including:
- Training Design: Detailed timing and instructions guide workshop activities.
- PowerPoint Presentation: Full-color, animated slides with speaker’s notes support the workshop agenda.
- Participant Handout Masters: Facilitator provides participant handouts for active engagement.
- Trainer Masters: Resources needed for workshop activities are provided for facilitator use.
- Materials List: Facilitator receives a comprehensive list of supplemental materials needed for the workshop.
- Workshop Preparation: A checklist of responsibilities ensures successful workshop planning.
- Event Publicity: A sample workshop flyer and posting on the PWY website are available for promotion.
- Evaluation: Workshop evaluation form helps assess workshop success.