Welcoming New Year 2019
No, I don’t make New Year resolutions. However, I’m a big fan of looking back to find the lessons learned and celebrate the accomplishments. I’m also a believer in setting intentions for the new year. Ready? Here are some highlights.
People often ask me how I’m enjoying retirement since I left my “day job” a couple years ago. Well, I simply laugh and say, “I’m anything but retired.” Instead, I’m re-fired! During 2018, I made substantial progress on my vision that all young people will be equipped to have a positive puberty experience. These are some of the activities to accomplish that:
- From Santa Fe, New Mexico to Duplin County, North Carolina and up to Sault Ste Marie, Michigan… I facilitated professional development to equip educators to teach Puberty: The Wonder Years.
- By presenting eight sessions at six conferences, I gave back to the community of people who value sex education. I continue to be grateful for the growth and learning that takes place each time.
- Five trainings, conferences, and professional meetings and many webinars provided me with opportunities to hone my skills and stay current in the field of sex education.
- My two-year term on the Board of Directors for the American School Health Association (ASHA) ended last month. I’m so grateful for that experience, the amazing people with whom I worked, and the important work done by ASHA.
- Puberty: The Wonder Years went international! Schools in Iran, Morocco, Nicaragua, and South Africa are all implementing the curriculum to equip their students with the knowledge and skills needed to navigate puberty.
- Amaze Parents invited me to participate in a Facebook Live event (my first!). It was so fun that I’m sure to try it again.
- To help fund the online training course development (spoiler alert!), I participated in a regional pitch contest and won the $5,000 2nd place prize.
Welcome, New Year 2019
Here’s wishing you a happy new year and a sense of purpose, progress, and promise. You make a difference every day in every life you touch. May you see and feel that energy you are sending out into the world… and be open to receiving all the blessings that will return to you!
As I look forward to this fresh and promising new year, these are a few things I’m geeked about:
- Right now, a team of sex educators and curriculum designers is beta testing a new Puberty: The Wonder Years Online Teacher Training Course.
- In the next couple of months, that course will be launched, making professional development for puberty education more readily accessible than ever before.
- In February, I am traveling to India! Part of my time will be spent as a tourist and part will be exploring opportunities for puberty education there.
- A partially developed online parent training will be dusted off and prepared for launch.
You and your students are at the center of my vision for 2019. Please contact me with your ideas, requests, and suggestions. Together, we will make this year wonder-full!